Sunday, February 18, 2007

1 O'CLOCK UPDATE

Well I am back
GRACIE TOOK THE BOTTLE she ate like she was starving. It feels soooooooo cool to have a baby calf piled up in your lap give her a couple days and I will have her SPOILED ROTTEN but you got to watch her back side I got WET like all cows she doesn't have to be standing to go to the bathroom. She is a SWEETIE. Now ANNIE she is another story mommy still wont let her suck. I decided to put her on calf starter even thought I would rather her get milk. She ate some of it so maybe we can get her eating solid foods. Meg is sick so I went with Carl to find 1 of his cows we found her along the woods and she had a beautiful Black Angus Bull baby. He was still WET. We rolled out a couple bales of hay. Carl has over 100 cows and walking around them this morning was a awesome feeling. Now just so you know when I was 7 or 8 I got gored in the neck by a cow that had a calf . So I CAN tell you they are dangerous animals and some of them have horns. I am SOOOOOOOOOOO brave that I had my truck right beside me as I untied the bales with the door open I might add.
just in case I needed to run for cover.


Today may prove to be entertaining if one was to be a fly on the wall. Carl called yesterday 1 of the cows calf during the day. Now for all you that don't know about calving when it is time the momma goes off by herself to have the baby. If there are problems then we can't help. Yesterday momma had her calf but ruptured her uterus and bled to death. Gracie was found about 4 but momma wasn't found until later where she had went off to die. Now remember we had a cow that lost her calf. That's how we came to have Annie now we have another orphan to take care of. My idea is to put Annie's foster Mommy in the head chute and try to milk her to get a couple bottles full to feed Gracie then let Annie suck. BEST LAID PLANS. Last time I milked a cow was 15 years ago. I will keep you posted

No comments: